"Cult Rites Bared" (O.T.O. Los Angeles 1930's)

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

OSAOPS

"Cult Rites Bared" (O.T.O. Los Angeles 1930's)

Post by OSAOPS » Thu May 24, 2018 8:02 pm

Advance trailers for CBS's "Strange Angel" indicate its portrayal of the occult life of rocket engineer Jack Parsons
includes activities of The Agape Lodge of the O.T.O., which was was established in the mid-1930's at 1746 Winona
in Hollywood, California as a North American branch of Alestair Crowley's "Church of Thelema."

While OTO activities were known to students at the nearby City College, it only received publicity
following the notorious murder of a woman dancer (who had on occasion visited that house).

Legitimate press covered on procedural aspects of solving the crime, for which "D. C. Cook" was
ultimately convicted. In the meantime, tabloids focused on examining activities of the associated
group, under headlines such as "Purple Cult Rites Bared." From that reporting, the following notes
are compiled:

The location was the attic of the Regina Kuhl's house, reached via a trap door. An accompanying photo
illustrated the altar of a black inverted coffin and a stool with a sword placed upon it, which was
flanked by a candelabra with 22 candles (representing "22 parts of light").

"Bizarre and reminiscent of the symbolism in passages of Cabell's "Jurgen," the rites are conducted under
direction of High Priestess Regina Kuhl, in instructor of play production in night classes at the college.

Priestess Tells Ritual

In performing the rites of the church last night, the worshippers kneeled as the rite proceeds.
The priest called attention to the liturgy of the cult as described in "The Master Therion" and intoned:

"Thee therefore whom we adore we also invoke," and so begun the "Ceremony of the Opening of the
Veil by the Power of the Lifted Lance."

The priestess chanted:

"...I charge you earnestly to come before me in a single robe, and covered with a rich headdress.
I love you! I yearn to you! Pale or purple, veiled or voluptuous, I who am all pleasure and purple,
and drunkeness of the innermost sense, desire you. Put on wings and arouse the coiled splendor within
you; Come unto me..."

The Deacon:

"But ye, O my people, rise up and awake. Let the rituals be rightly performed with joy and beauty!"

The Priest:

"Thee therefore whom we adore, we also invoke. By the power of the lifted Lance!"

"He raises the Lance. All repeat Hailing Sign."

"A phrase of triumphant music."

"The Priest takes the Priestess by her right hand with his left, keeping the Lance raised."

"I, Priest and King, take thee, Virgin pure without spot; I upraise thee; I lead thee to the East;
I set thee upon the summit of the Earth."

"Book of the Law Symbol"

When the Priestess is throned upon the altar, she takes the Book of Law, resumes her seat, and holds
it open on her breast with her two hands, making a descending triangle with thumbs and forefigners...

At length, the Priest intones:

"O, circle of stars whereof our Father is but the younger brother, marvel beyond imagination, soul of
infinite space, before whom Time is ashamed, the mind bewildered and the understanding dark, not unto
Thee may we attain, unless Thine image be Love. Therefore, by seed and root and stem and bud and leaf and flower
and fruit we do invoke Thee."

"Then the priest answered and said unto the Queen of Space, kissing her lovely brows, and the dew of her
light bathing his whole body in a sweet-smelling perfume of sweat; O Nult, continuous one of heaven, let it be
ever thus, that men speak not of Thee as One but as None..."

Robe Thrown Off

Here, according to "The Master Therion";

"During this speech the Priestess must have divested herself completely of her robe..."

The Priestess speaks:

"But to love me is better than all things; if under the night-stars of the desert thou presently burnest mine
incense before me, invoking me with a pure heart, and the Serpent flame therein, thou shalt come a little to
lie in my bosom. For one kiss wilt thou then be willing to give all, but who so gives one particle of dust shall
lose all in that hour. Ye shall gather goods and store of women and spices; ye shall wear rich jewels; ye shall
exceed the nations of the earth in splendor and pride; but always in the love of me and so shall ye come to
my joy."

Meetings of the cultists are held almost nightly, and according to student leaders, numbers of the Thelemites
are increasing among the undergraduates.

The priest later declared:

"We know nothing of any 'Purple Cult.' We have never used such words. But it may be that some of the students
coined the phrase, although we never heard it until now. The Church of Thelema is open to anyone. There are no
dues or fees of any kind. Anyone who finds good in it is welcome."

An image from this coverage appears on the message board thread linked below:

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/is-thi ... ure.79471/

Don Carlo

Re: "Cult Rites Bared" (O.T.O. Los Angeles 1930's)

Post by Don Carlo » Sun May 27, 2018 6:32 am

Hi, thanks for posting. I just approved your third post so you're a regular poster now. Very interesting stories.

Return to “Media Reports”