Dictionary

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
duhast1

Dictionary

Post by duhast1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:30 pm

What dictionary does the cult use for word-clearing?
I'm worth a million in prizes.

Wieber

Re: Dictionary

Post by Wieber » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:28 pm

The dictionary Hubbard recommended is The World Book Dictionary. Having said that, any dictionary will do. Having said that, The World Book Dictionary can be seen in the course rooms and in Qual, and many auditors use it.

In addition to that Scientology has its own dictionary. There have been several versions of this over time.

This was what they were using when I first got involved.

The Scientology dictionary is not laid out like other dictionaries. The words in there have definitions that are quotes from L. Ron Hubbard, culled from his lectures and writing. Whenever he defined a word in a new way or coined a word and explained it, those words appear in the Scientology dictonary with his explanation in his words.

In the course rooms there is another dictionary that people may not buy. It is attached to a table and its pages are either encased in plastic or laminated. If you want to read definitions from it you have to take a course. I'm assuming that the orgs also have one of those in Qual.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Re: Dictionary

Post by Wieber » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:38 pm

When I went back briefly and took a course at the small org, I needed to buy a dictionary. When a person involved in Scientology takes a course in Scientology you they to buy course materials and they have to bring their own dictionary. The Scientology book store does not sell dictionaries. The dictionary must be purchased from a book store.

So when I took this course I thought Scientology should have dictionaries for sale in their book stores. It would be convenient for people taking courses and it would provide a little extra revenue for the org. I thought it was a good idea. So I suggested it to the executive director (ED, pronounced by L. Ron Hubbard, Ed, as in Ed Sullivan) along with my reasons why they should do it.

Well, talk about blasphemy! The ED's TRs went out, and they took on the facial expression of someone seeing some H. P. Lovecraft monstrosity. Scientology policy at the time, and probably still in force, was that the only publications for sale in Scientology org book stores are the works of L. Ron Hubbard produced by Bridge Publications, the Scientology publishing company.

I went along with it, though I continued to think it was dumb for Scientology not to put World Book dictionaries in their book stores.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”