Insults

Where off-topic, flames, etc are thrown.
fathom

Insults

Post by fathom » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:33 am

Smurf wrote:
fathom wrote:I saw the segment. Maybe I missed something, but I thought Kirsch's point was that he found placebos as effective as anti-depressants for cases of MILD depression, and felt those suffering from mild depression could find benefits in exercise and psychotherapy, for example. He did, however, agree that anti-depressants were effective for MODERATE and SEVERE cases of depressions. I did not hear him say he felt depression was a "myth".
Lurk moar. I didn't say he made that claim in this segment. He, has claimed, however, that there is an anti-depressant myth and he's even written a book about it.

"Irving Kirsch presents exquisite and exhaustive research which concludes antidepressant drugs are in fact, placebos. He explains why and how placebos work. He argues against the chemical imbalance theory of depression and says it has never been proven. He also compares outcomes of Cognitive Behavioral therapy with and without antidepressant medication and concludes that a patient's "hope" for recovery is the fulcrum on which successful treatment rests.

Kirsch states that SSRIs can help ... as much as any placebo... but instilling hope in a patient is what really works; there are no detrimental side effects, and hope and tools aquired in CBT have been shown to have more lasting results."

http://www.amazon.com/Emperors-New-Drug ... 046502016X

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/irving-ki ... 42205.html
I was going to respond, but decided you are not worth the effort. You don't read what others post, except to argue with them.

Smurf

Re: 60 Minutes: Treating depression with placebos?

Post by Smurf » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:05 am

fathom wrote:I was going to respond, but decided you are not worth the effort. You don't read what others post, except to argue with them.
LOL. You've acted like the angry proverbial jackass from the first day you started posting here. I could care less what you think.

Return to “Dustbin”